Livonia Granite Countertops
It is never too late or too early to consider granite countertops in your kitchen. Granite is one of the most preferred material when it comes to countertops. Today we bring you five things you probably didn’t know about granite. Remember, the more knowledgeable you are about the granite, the easier it is to choose among the hundreds of colors and variations. Here are some things you should know:
1. All slabs are slightly different – Different ages, formations locations, and soil compositions all can affect the hardness, color, and composition of a slab. You should always select slabs in person, and not from a picture, so you can see up close what you are actually getting.
2. Blue and red are the rarest granites – Slabs with blue or red are going to be more expensive than those without. Don’t overpay for average sand-colored granite with low crystal composition. It is very common.
3. Granite is one of the hardest substances on the planet – Under normal circumstances, you should not be able to crack or chip your granite except with a diamond. Be careful with diamond rings near the countertop.
4. Granite needs to be sealed – While being very durable and scratch resistant, granite is still slightly permeable to moisture unless it is sealed. Ideally, this should be done once a year to keep the seal intact. A properly sealed countertop will cause water to bead in droplets on the surface. When moisture spreads rapidly or begins absorbing, you know the seal is gone. Reseal it immediately.
5. Granite is slightly radioactive – More of a fun fact than anything, but this is worth mentioning because, while true, it is often blown out of proportion. Granite does emit an extremely small amount of radon, but don’t let this scare you. The amount emitted by granite is less than that of common garden soil. Mostly the fear aroused by radioactive countertops is not based in fact. Granite is a perfectly safe substance for your home and for preparing your food on.
We hope you have learned something new about granite countertops! At Marble & Granite Express, we fabricate and install granite countertops anywhere in the Metro Detroit area, Ann Arbor area, Flint area, and as west as Grand Rapids. To view a list of cities and areas we serve, click here. If you are ready to have some beautiful granite countertops in your kitchen, give us a call today at 734-331-9171 or 734-772-4431.